Thursday, October 2, 2008

A Proposition

Years ago, when my world was in its infancy, I slaved over the names of the elven nation and her cities. I wanted them to be wildly different not only from one another, but also very different from the elven cities and nations of fantasy lore. Such as Rivendell, Qualinost, Silvanost, Lothlorien, Evermeet et cetera. In so doing, I remembered a city that I thought had an excellent name that fit the criteria of originality and unique sound. A city that was home to a character once played by a good friend of mine. It was not my creation, but I thought the person who created it, also the same person who played the aforementioned character, would not mind my use of his intellectual property and would in fact be quite flattered by its inclusion.

That city was to be The Citadel of Mist.

Unfortunately, as I have found out years later, it was not his original property and he didn't come up with the name at all. That is not to say this friend of mine is a plagiarist, not at all. In fact the fault is all mine as my friend never actually made any claim to the name itself. I myself had made the assumption all along, and my continued ignorance of the Forgotten Realms continent of Faerun only contributed. I'm sure this friend and fellow gamer only thought I understood that all these years and was likely, quite surprised upon finding that I had "lifted" The Citadel for my own world.

This too, was not the case. Regardless, this years long misunderstanding has created a conundrum for me. I now have a major city in my world that is exactly the same as a major city that exists in the world of Toril on the continent of Faerun in the Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting.

I have told you all that to tell you this: We need a new name.

I cannot have our world be perceived as a knockoff of a major campaign setting. Whether the world is ever published or not is irrelevant. I just want to preserve the integrity of my, of our, creation.

So, to all those who play in my campaign world or read this blog: A challenge.

Submit to me, via email, your suggestions for a new name, or even many names, that you feel could be a suitable replacement. Keeping in mind that The Citadel of Mist is a home to elves traditionally known as "High Elves". The thinkers, scholars, scientists and aristocrats of elven society. The Citadel is a large city, the largest in square mileage and population in Kemmermere. It is made almost entirely of stone structures, as Sanctuary, The City to the South (as it is called by The Citadel's residents) is its antithesis, a city in the trees, many square miles of structures created from wood and leaf.

Keeping those things in mind about the city it would be appreciated if you would send to me any ideas you may have. The suggestions you send should be completely original and of your own creation. I will leave this open for awhile as I hope to get many suggestions over a few weeks time. I will then pare the list down and post it as a poll on the blog, whereby I hope to have a clear winner made by vote of the people. Those people being all five of us who read this blog.

Thank you in advance for your submissions.

Just in case my address is jamezx667@gmail.com.

12 comments:

  1. My memory from those many years past is a bit foggy this morning but, this much I do know:
    The Citadel of Mist was indeed our creation. The city itself, the defensive wards about it, the people who ruled it, it's history and demise were all of our making.
    Whether or not there was a marker on the official map of Faerun at that time I do not know. I honestly do not remember it being there but perhaps my memory fails me (once again!).
    In any event, I will do my best to come up with alternatives for you as I also have noticed this discrepancy and had similar feelings on this issue.
    By the way, I do feel honored that you chose to borrow from our past adventures. It feels good to know that the things we created so long ago still live on in some form even if we are not all still around to appreciate it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're right and I wish I had clarified in my earlier statement. The history/defensive wards/demise etc were certainly a creation of our own. Mostly yours if memory serves, as outlined in an exceptional early draft of a story you started called "Silverfire", copies of which I still have somewhere. But, as I kept the name intact I had to let go most of the story because I no longer played the campaign in Faerun, where our campaign took place in those years. I have thought often about asking you and G if you would mind if I injected that storyline into my world as it is now. Of course some geographical names and heroes (The Moonshae, Waterdeep and Elminster, just to name a few) would have to be changed. But I didn't want to "just do it" without the blessing of at least the majority of our group.

    Regardless, we need a new name for the city and since I game (or have gamed) with some of the most creative people I have ever known, I thought I had no better resource available to me.

    Although there's always the internet. I suppose I could steal something from there...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah yes, "Silverfire", yet another example of my inability to finish a project.
    I have no issue with the use of the previous story being transfered. As you have said before, it is the intellectual property of ours as a group. I don't see where any one person should lay claim to any one part of it save, perhaps the actual character they played.
    I'll shut up now and get to work on our dilemma...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thinking about this more, you should definitely add that storyline into the world of Majus. Just think of how incomplete your world would be without a Vlad Pwent roaming the world!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. "Just think of how incomplete your world would be without a Vlad Pwent roaming the world!!"

    Precisely!

    Actually I always thought the entire campaign was a good story that should be told here. I have nearly 40 pages of notes from that campaign and about five or six audio tapes so it'd be easy to recall.

    I always planned to write a book about that campaign. Too bad it was never finished.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Still waiting for a few suggestions from those who haven't left any yet. They know who they are.

    Throw me a frickin' bone here!

    *picks up mr. bigglesworth and stomps out of the room*

    ReplyDelete
  8. Any word on this? I'm still throwing around a couple more ideas but I'm not sure they are worthy of submission. I'd like to see what else was suggested.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have a few things, I'll post them soon. I was hoping to hear from Mike and Gene before I put it up for vote due to their computer issues. It didn't seem fair to rush since their respective situations kept them from contributing.

    I got a few good ideas from Jim and I was quite fond of yours as well. It will likely be difficult for people to choose one.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Tap tap tap...

    You should break out the old tapes and notes at our next session that would be cool. I've been really excited about uncovering old stuff lately. I was just thinking the other day that it's too bad Baker isn't around anymore because when you write this story into Atalanxia we could each do a piece of it from our characters perspective in a collaborative story telling style, that would give it some varied flavor for sure. Anyway, just me talking out loud and wondering where in the #%&* the poll is at...

    ReplyDelete
  11. I understand your frustration. Foolishly, I waited for some people who don't usually contribute much, if anything, to the blog to post some suggestions of their own. Mostly so that everyone would have a shot at equal consideration, but also to glean a shot at stealing something cool if they came up with something better than everyone else submitted. It didn't matter as I didn't get any submissions from those I waited for.

    Oh well, time to move on.

    I'll take a look over the excellent submissions I received from you and Jim and I'll get to work on it.

    Believe it or not, but I've been thinking about this a lot lately.

    ReplyDelete
  12. How about Citadel of Mist as the FR fortress is dubbed 'The Citadel of the Mists'...

    ReplyDelete