Friday, June 6, 2008

4.0

O.k. I have voiced a pretty strong opinion on this subject. You guys know that I'm not very enthused by the upcoming version of D&D. I recently had a fairly long conversation with Mike about it and discovered that it may not be as bad as I thought. Well I was browsing today and found this blog posting. I'm not sure that this guy has hard facts but what he writes is mostly in line with the perception I've had of version 4.0. I see this as being a topic we will face in the not so distant future so why not start the conversation now? Here is the post, I just copied and pasted it. Please duscuss.

These days, hack-n-slashers already have nirvana in the form of MMORPGs like World of Warcraft. WoW is all about combat, alone or in groups, for 15 minutes or 15 hours, ready at the click of a mouse. No setup time, no gathering friends around the table, no rules-lawyering or a Dungeon Master that wants to do a “talky bits” session this week. WoW is stripped down, pure, accelerated, uber-convenient hank-n-slash on demand.

So, naturally, D&D 4.0 is designed for hack-n-slashers. Wizards of the Coast acts like the only thing drawing tabletop roleplayers away to online games is the fact that MMORPGs don’t make you gather around a physical table at one place and time. So, they build you a virtual table with virtual miniatures and a virtual map. They’ll force upon you virtual dice, even though dice are the most superstitiously guarded and personal item any tabletopper owns. Sure, D&D 4.0 still requires that a DM build out the map, and that players roll up a character beforehand and that everyone be available at the same time. But, hey, at least everyone doesn’t have to be at the same house or game shop, and for that convenience all Wizards of the Coast asks is that all the players buy into their software and service and upload their characters into the system. I mean, yeah, this does require an investment in 4.0 rulebooks, and you still have the time scheduling issue and the learning-the-rules issue. Oh, and you have to give up your lucky dice and abandon all your house rules and custom character sheets. And you don’t get the tangential social benefit of actually seeing your friends and passing around the snack bowl.

D&D 4.0: We won’t make you leave the house anymore.

And this is going to fell the juggernaut that is World of Warcraft?

If Wizards of the Coast had any sense, they would have gone in the opposite direction with D&D 4.0, celebrating everything about the game that can’t be codified and automated. In a tabletop game, you can abandon the script at any moment. A good Dungeon Master can wing it, adapt, improvise, and keep up with a group of real, live human players who aren’t just in it for a analog version of Diablo II. Strip down the rules, beef up the character development. If you want online tools, design them to make character creation–not graphics creation–easier. Stop treating D&D like a vehicle to sell miniatures and prefab module adventures when there’s no way static maps and immobile figures can compete with 3D landscapes and animated, interactive avatars. Stop trying to beat MMORPGs on their terms, and beat them on yours.

Oh, and accept the fact that the 1970s are over, and D&D is never going to be the dominant geek hobby again. The future is now. Let’s roll.

Author: Jay Garmon

8 comments:

  1. All of the bullet-points that I've read to this point certainly support this writer's opinion. If it turns out to be true, than I'll repeat what you guys have heard me say before: Keep your MMO out of my tabletop game. Christ, I've already paid for the 4.0 books. I'm not sure why, I hadn't heard or read much to support a purchase. Besides, the way things sometimes go with 3.5 I've considered blowing up WoTC D&D altogether and dusting off my old 2nd edition books. Then I remember our old nemesis THAC0 and I change my mind.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Also, I don't want to speak for Mike (although its unlikely he'll post here himself if past lack of responses is any indication) but every time he tells me something he's enthused about, he follows it with two things that irk him. I'm not sure I want to take steps backward just to hasten or simplify certain combat aspects.

    I will try to keep an open mind however. Do I have any other choice? My 4.0 books are likely to be in the mail tomorrow morning.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, since the Druid and Barbarian are no longer part of D&D in 4.0 I suppose this isn't really an option for our current campaign. Unless, the DM is creative and manifests house rules to accommodate Patch and Cor'Nal. One thing Mike and I agreed on is that the ability for any character to heal himself was ludicrous and neither of us would be sad to see that rule ignored. I will be reading more of my 'unofficial' copy of the PHB over the next few days so I can form a better opinion.

    So far I'm having the same thoughts as the DM, second edition looks better and better, but I don't have much issue with THACO!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. After more research I have come across this:
    Other Power Sources: Additional power sources and
    techniques provide characters of different classes with
    powers and abilities. These will appear in future Player’s
    Handbook volumes. For example, barbarians and druids
    draw on the primal forces of nature, monks harness the
    power of their soul energy (or ki),

    Of course you guys have probably read this already. Looks like job security for the guys at Wizards, strike two...

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think im pretty happy sticking with what were all getting used to. Im not interested in the least with 4th edition.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's funny, I look back on all this debate about 4E; (a version of D&D I never really played, save for a couple one-off sessions with Mike) and I find that, here we are again, faced with a new version of our beloved pastime.

    As I'm sure most or all of you know, WotC/Hasbro are currently playtesting a fifth version of Dungeons and Dragons, called Version 5, if I'm not mistaken.

    While I haven't played the game in nearly eight months and don't know when I'll play again, I can't help but find myself both intrigued and disgusted. Less than four years ago we were faced with the decision about whether or not to adopt the new system and while some of us were foolish enough to over-invest in 4E's potential, (I'm pointing at myself here) I think the course we chose to stick with 3.5 was the correct one.

    Have any of you heard anything you like about 5E (version 5)? Do you think this is yet another money-grab, as I suspect it is? I have heard a few things myself, but I want to hear about what this group has heard and get some varied opinions before I waste more space here.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well here is a super late (and likely pointless) response. I think this is a money grab; trying to bleed the sheep a bit more. But, I can see where this could also be an (honest?) attempt to bring many disgruntled players back to the table so to speak. 4th edition created a huge rift in the gaming community and resulted directly in the formation of the Pathfinder system. Could WotC be trying to revamp D&D in order to make amends to the community? I say doubtful at best but we can hope right?

    WotC doesn't respect their writers enough to let them write their own novels, why would they respect the wishes of the table top gaming community?

    At any rate, I don't think I'll ever play the game again so, investing in a 5th edition after the debacle that was/is 4E would be duly stupid of me.

    ReplyDelete