Thursday, June 5, 2008

The Magic of Polls

I started the polls because I wanted to get honest input on certain things that I don't usually get during our gaming sessions. Data mining can be a difficult task from my standpoint as a DM because during a session, it can take the PC's out of their suspension of disbelief. And who wants to come back to reality during gameplay? I know I don't. So, I thought these polls on the blog sidebar would be a good way to get real answers from the PC's in our group (as well as input my own opinions) without fear of retaliation or pressure from other members of the group. The poll answers are completely anonymous and only on the silly polls are people allowed to vote more than once.

So if you want your say on a subject I bring up don't hesitate to participate and if you would like me to bring a question to poll email me. I'll be happy to oblige and will use discretion if you like.

So anyway, the real intent of this post is to evaluate what we've learned through polls so far but once again I've blabbed on and bored you all to tears, if you are still reading at this point here goes...

What we know...

Vrock was NOT a pansy: That poll was a landslide.
We're not sure whether or not we want a fourth party member.: We'll try that one again soon.
Everybody Hates Ryan.: People aren't thrilled about Fengis either and my wife hated Anna.
The guy with the beard at the bar did not offer his name.: Will he eventually?
We DO NOT want outsiders (those not involved in the campaign) submitting posts (leaving comments is OK however).: We made the right choice here I think.

Well, that's it so far. I'll keep leaving polls if you keep submitting answers. Remember, I will leave polls for the sole purpose of making a joke occasionally, but this will be an invaluable tool for me to get the real answers from you that I need to do a better job. Utilize it and keep in mind that all answers are anonymous, and you won't hurt my feelings with honesty.

DM

14 comments:

  1. Just so y'alls know, I'm not likely to vote on these here polls. The ones up now I mean.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the polls it gives us a little insight into what the DM is thinking. I was just wondering who the other people were that have been voting. I mean there is 4 of us but I seen 6 voters during the last polls.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Generally, its just us voting. But Angie and Candi have voted on polls not directly influencing our game. For instance; yesterday evening Candi voted on the Vrock "Rising from the dead" post but did not vote on the other two as she would have no frame of reference as to whether you guys get enough loot or fight enough monsters. I've encouraged this. The silly polls I know I may have voted more than once. I work on the blog from three different computers so sometimes its hard to remember what I've voted on. If you have any other questions or input regarding the polls let me know.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Funny that we all hate Ryan yet, it seems he is joining the party and Fengis, who was probably the most understanding of us 'outsiders' we turned over to face his apparent doom.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yeah it does seem kinda crazy doesn't it. But if you think about it since were leaving the town and Fengis wanted to go and kill all the live stock and then run away we really had no more use for him but Ryan on the other hand we can always use a good strong (fodder) type person.

    ReplyDelete
  6. As you all know, I'm a big fan of irony, and it plays a pretty big part in the "story" portion of my game. When Fengis pointed out the similarities between your party and his occupation, that was supposed to be ironic, I didn't plan for Ademar to nearly assault the man so I had to do a little thinking on the fly and the comparison Fengis made was accurate. Also I had attempted earlier to shoehorn Ryan into the party, albeit on a part-time basis, when you guys went to Luton's Quarry. (You may remember steadfastly refusing his offer.) These are examples of what I had planned.

    However, if you think I planned for the guy you hated most to permanently join the party and the guy other than Magda, that you had the closest connection with to be sold out to his death (for a cart full of goodies) than you give me far more credit than I deserve. Oh, and don't get me started on Loomis' fate. That decision completely threw me, I had no idea I 'd be playing that crazy bastard anymore.

    Oh, and I get the implication that these events are the direct result of polling data. They're not, it just turns out that Ryan has discovered his need to branch out into the world. It might do him some good as a little humiliation never hurt anybody. On the other hand, he probably won't stick with you guys long when he discovers your incredible individual selfishness.

    ReplyDelete
  7. LOL! I think Ademar might just lay out some serious coin just to have the DM continue to play Loomis!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Maybe Loomis should have an unfortunate wagon-driving accident on the way to Whitehall Camp. Hmmm....

    HEH!

    ReplyDelete
  9. if he does have an accident on the way to Whitehall I hope to be LVL 7 when he bites it. I would hate to loose a good driver even if he does come back as a goblin or a bugbear.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Is that a Reincarnation spell threat? Dammit!

    ReplyDelete
  11. *HEH!*



    *Translated from Goblin to Common.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Nope no threat here but maybe a little glimpse into the future Loomis

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yeah we're gonna have to go to a massive town and find the spell components for reincarnation. So we can keep Loomis alive.

    About the McBrady bunch poll...
    Man, you guys must think Patch is a blood thirsty mongrel. Patch sooner knock of the no fun druid then McBradybunch.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I don't think Patch is necessarily bloodthirsty, so much as he's less likely to take MacBrady's attitude than the other two. ANd lets not forget when the letter to Fengis was found Patch's reply was not "Hmmm, we should investigate this further." It was, "Lets go get the bastard!." A bit telling, don't you think?

    ReplyDelete