Sunday, January 25, 2009

Cor'Nal's Heart

As the Hours turn into days and days into weeks it was becoming clear that Kutenai didn’t bestow these great gifts upon me for my own needs but rather to assist in the greater good. We had warned the chieftain of the dangers that were to befall his proud tribe but against all warning he was convinced to continue on the path that had already been started convinced that it was the way things should be. Even after the warning that was given I still can’t help but think that I should have struck out at the Orcs before they could have brought their plan full circle. How many lives did I commit to death with my reluctance to use my gift, the same gift that is forsaken by these barbarians just might have been able to save some of their lives if not all of their lives but would they have wanted it that way. If I had stepped in and circumvented the threat would they have shunned me for in a way damning them by not allowing them to act in the way of their beliefs? I feel that the question will haunt me for many years to come.

So I make this promise to myself: I will no longer stand idly by while an innocent or ignorant person sets themself up for an inevitable death. I will use my gifts to protect the goodly folk of this world from those that wish them harm and to start this promise I began by eliminating the Orc’s that slaughtered the barbarians with such power that I myself didn’t even know I had. From the first sight of the orc camp to the death of Tonguescum himself I felt more empowered and inspired by what I was doing than I had in a long time. The last time I felt so driven was while assisting Dorian Haysted in his time of need and it was a feeling that was very long overdue.

As we left the orc encampment behind us in ruins I knew that there was more that I could do for the remaining barbarians. There were women and children remaining that were going to need a settlement rebuilt and even though they forsake my gifts I was not going to allow that to stop me from using them to help them in their time of need. So for days to follow we spent countless hours building a main building that would show strength to their people and unite them and hopefully allow them continue to rebuild and thrive once more.

As we left the barbarians I felt as if a weight had been lifted as if some of the guilt that I felt for not stepping in was redeemed but I still wish that I could do more for them. In time I plan to return to them and if needed assist them once more whether it be something as small as delivering a package for them or as large as protecting their settlement I will not walk away when I return. So our new destination is Henutsen, a city south east of Whitewall camp nestled into the mountains. The city is said to be a ruthless place where criminals are more prevalent and the greater good may not, so I feel that I may not have to look far to find someone that could use a little help. I have also noticed that Ademar seems to be a bit more eager to travel to Henutsen which in a way makes me feel good that my dear friend finally feels passionate about where we are going but also strikes me with a little fear. I have known for some time now that he is searching for something or someone but I can’t help but feel that what ever he is looking for is going to be more than what he can handle on his own and hope that one day he will reveal what he is in search of and perhaps together we can find what it is that has him searching.

Our new traveling companion has me worried however. Luethar stepped in when he was needed but we have no clue as to why he was with the barbarians and what his agenda was could he have been part of the cause set in with them to gather information or was he just an innocent person swept up with the masses. I have watched him closely since he assisted us and have only seen that he seems to hold on to anything that he touches which I am used to after traveling so long with Ademar but he is also very secretive about things even more so than Ademar which has me worried and always on my toes, but before I jump to any conclusions about him as I did with Patch and allow him in he will have to earn my trust and this time its not going to be easy to earn.

6 comments:

  1. *Comment originally left by Ademar Nightwalker on January 26th, 2009 8:56 AM

    By far your best writing to date. It is good to see a little bit of what makes Cor'Nal tick. I am happy to see that he has found his place in the world. I am quickly nearing a point in Ademar's history where I will need some of your collaborative help. In the mean-time I hope we can read more about Cor'Nal.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is great, I am very happy to see another entry from Cor'Nal.

    This is excellent stuff. Please send more to the blog when you find the time. We're much better for it.

    Nice to see the "Neutral" druid find some righteousness within. Though he still struggles with justifying the lack of interference leading to the destruction of Snoam-Schlabach and Schudlichton, he has the insight to learn from his mistakes, refusing to repeat them with future apathy.

    Character growth is what makes good stories great stories.

    Cor'Nal, in my opinion, despite being a druid is likely the most complex character in the story at the current juncture.

    I'd love to hear other peoples opinions on this. From within the gaming group and without.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Not gonna hold my breath for Mike on this one... ;p

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is good to see Cor'Nal has returned, and has gained much in wisdom. Well done! Nice addition that takes Cor'Nal into deeper territory. Reflective, an image thrown back, as a glance in the mirror yet clearer the second glance. Hindsight is usually the better vision. Again, I say nicely done. I agree with TMBTS that Cor'Nal has a growing level of complexity. I will be watching, and awaiting more.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This really is good stuff man. I hope to see more of this in the future as everything you contribute is a huge boon for our blog.

    I'm sure everyone here would agree.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is me poking a pointed stick at the author. We want more!
    *ducks back out of scimitar range*

    ReplyDelete